Looking Out for Your Family's Well Being with A Guardianship Attorney
At William R. Pierce, Attorney at Law, we know that the subject of guardianship can be sensitive for many families. Determining who will take care of your child if you are no longer be able to look after them can be difficult, but it can also give you peace of mind. We can help you appoint a guardian you know to be trustworthy and capable of caring for your children should you become ill or disabled.
Our family law firm also helps family members obtain guardianship over a child in abusive situations. Guardianship attorney, William R. Pierce can help you reach your legal goals when it comes to guardianship in Oklahoma.
Establishing a Legal Guardian for Your Children
There are several different criteria that can qualify someone to be a legal guardian. In most cases, parents appoint a guardian to look after their children in the event that they are incapacitated. A guardian could also be appointed by the family court if there is evidence that the child is in danger and needs to be removed from their home. Guardians are then granted certain parental rights, such as making health care and financial decisions, paying bills, and establishing living arrangements.
A guardianship order will only be issued if it can be determined that:
- It is in the child's best interests
- Adoption is not appropriate
- Termination of parental rights is not appropriate
- The biological parent cannot care for the child
- The guardian can provide a permanent and safe home
- When possible, the child agrees with the decision
- There are drug-related activities
- The decision will benefit the needs of the child
- The child's needs require continual care
- We can help you to establish a guardianship, or protect your parental rights if someone is trying to claim they deserve guardianship over your children.
Contact Us Today to Work with a Guardianship Attorney
If you are interested in establishing a guardianship or have recently been appointed a legal guardian of a child, William R. Pierce, guardianship attorney can help. We have the legal experience and knowledgeable guidance you need to make informed decisions regarding guardianship OKC. Connect with us using our Contact Form or call us at (405) 633-0064.