Criminal Defense Attorney OKC - Serving the Accused
You must secure legal representation immediately, regardless of the criminal charges issued against you. A criminal conviction of any kind and to any degree can cost you thousands of dollars in fines and send you to jail for years. In addition to civil penalties, having an official criminal conviction on your record can be detrimental to your personal and professional life. Having an experienced criminal defense attorney OKC on your side can be the difference between a positive outcome and a lifetime of negative consequences.
Types & Penalties of Misdemeanors in Oklahoma
In Oklahoma, there are not varying classes of misdemeanor crimes. Instead, misdemeanors are determined by the punishments they may merit. Except in special circumstances, crimes that warrant fines of $500 or less and a maximum of 1 year in jail may be considered misdemeanors.
Misdemeanor Crimes in Oklahoma May Include:
- Gambling related to elections
- Harboring a minor who has run away from home or is in danger
- Independent sale of lottery tickets by an individual
- Libel and slander
- Providing tobacco products to a minor
- Reckless driving
- Stalking and similar acts of harassment
Felonies in Oklahoma
Oklahoma statutes define a felony as any crime that warrants the death penalty or imprisonment for more than 1 year. All felony charges are very serious, but they are divided by severity into 3 classes:
- Class C: Maximum of $100,000 in fines and 10 years in prison
- Class B: Between $100,001 and $499,999 in fines and 11 – 29 years in prison
- Class A: Maximum of $500,000 in fines and 30 years in prison
Just like misdemeanors, the degree of felony with which you are charged depends on the crime and the punishments associated with your actions. In Oklahoma, you may be considered a felon if you are convicted of any of the following crimes:
- Joint robbery
- Drug trafficking and manufacturing
- Human trafficking
- Sex trafficking
- Damaging or destroying the American flag
- Rape and other aggravated sexual assault
- Helping inmates escape jail or prison
- Helping someone commit suicide
- Abandoning minor children under the age of 10
- Possession, creating, and distribution of child pornography
- Gambling in a commercial setting
William R. Pierce - Criminal Defense Attorney OKC
Regardless of the crimes of which you have been accused, you must take action to seek legal representation as soon as possible. While you are awaiting trial, members of law enforcement and the courts are already building a case against you and looking for evidence of your guilt. A criminal defense attorney OKC will be able to help you ensure a fair trial. By securing legal representation quickly, you may even be able to obtain a reduced sentence or have your charges dismissed entirely.
Connect with us today using our Contact Form or call us at (405) 633-0064.