DUI Attorney OKC

William R. Pierce - DUI Attorney OKC

Oklahoma takes a strict stance against drunk driving. The potential charges against intoxicated driving are so extensive and harsh that people can even be charged just for being near their vehicle while drunk. With such comprehensive laws and an adamant prosecution on the other side of the courtroom, you need to make certain your rights and driving privilege are protected by an DUI attorney OKC who can handle the case. With Attorney William R. Pierce on your side, a former prosecutor and steadfast legal defender will be leading the charge and managing all facets of your case. While you focus on other parts of your day-to-day life, we will stay hard at work to defeat your DUI, DWI, or APC charges.

You can learn more about our services during an initial consultation. Contact us today at (405) 283-2824.

What are the Differences Between Oklahoma DUI, DWI & APC?

People who are accused of getting behind the wheel while drunk in Oklahoma can be sorted into three different charges: DUI, DWI, and APC. The state has propped up these three separate crimes as a way to more easily bring charges against the accused and secure a conviction.

If you are accused of “drunk driving” in Oklahoma, you could be charged with:

  • Driving under the influence (DUI): When someone is pulled over with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) level of 0.08 or higher, they can be charged with driving under the influence.
  • Driving while intoxicated (DWI): People pulled over with a BAC level between 0.06 and 0.799 can be charged with driving while intoxicated. As it is easier to convict someone for a DWI, the crime will usually have lessened penalties.
  • Actual physical control (APC): You can be charged with APC if you are intoxicated and near your vehicle while in possession of the keys. In the theory of the law, anyone intoxicated near their vehicle and holding the keys either intends to drive it or had just driven it before the police arrived, warranting an arrest and the charge of APC.
    You can also be charged with an aggravated DUI if your BAC level is recorded at or above 0.15. Oklahoma also has the charge of DUID, or DUI with drugs, which describes someone who uses an automobile shortly after using any sort of drug that can impair reaction times.

Call (405) 633-0064 to schedule a consultation with William R. Pierce Attorney at Law today.

Possible Penalties for a DUI/DWI/APC

Anyone convicted of a DUI, DWI, or APC crime in Oklahoma will likely face criminal penalties including paying fines and a stay in jail. The amount of fines and incarceration duration will increase if you have previous DUI/DWI/APC convictions on your record. You may also be required to install an ignition interlock device (IID) on your vehicle, which will not allow the vehicle to start without first blowing into a portable breathalyzer test and passing.

You should also expect the administrative penalty of the suspension of your driver’s license. A first-time conviction will likely suspend your license for 180 days. Second offenses can include a year-long suspension, with third and subsequent offenses escalating the suspension to at least three years. When your driver’s license suspension ends, you will need to make arrangements with the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety to reinstate it. Additional fees will be owed at that point as well.

A Strong Defense Begins with William R. Pierce - DUI Attorney OKC

Losing your driver’s license due to a DUI, DWI, or APC conviction will send negative ripples into all facets of your life. Getting to and from work will be a challenge, potentially making it impossible to hold steady employment. If you need to drive to college or university, then your educational progress could be halted or derailed as well. All of this can happen in addition to the other criminal and administrative penalties.

With so much on the line, make certain you are confident in your criminal defense strategy by working with our Oklahoma City DUI attorney. Find out how to get our law firm in your corner by calling (405) 633-0064 or use our Contact Form to connect with us.